Back in October, I went to the March for Equality in Washington, DC. One of my favorite things about the march was seeing all the different signs people made. Some were fierce. Some were funny. Some were just plain silly. Most spoke the truth, however they chose to angle it.
I started writing this post months ago. I was motivated to post it because of the 1 for All campaign to highlight the importance of the First Amendment.
Here are some of my favorite signs from the march. All of them were made and carried by people exercising their First Amendment Rights. Like me (pictured at right).
- Be careful whom you hate – it could be someone you love
- How does our marriage hurt yours?
- Less is not equal
- Let’s have a summit, Mr. President. I’ll bring the beer.
- Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs
- How would you like to drive through a state and suddenly not be married?
- What about our American dream?
- When do I get to vote on your marriage?
- I’m missing football for gay rights
- Always a bridesmaid, never a bride
- All we are saying is: give queers a chance
- Save marriage? Ban divorce!
- I’ll have what you’re having
- We are Americans, not a wedge issue
- Can you believe we still have to protest this crap?
- Where’s our fierce advocate?
- Someone drew a circle to exclude me – so I drew one bigger to include them.
- Discrimination is so gay
- 33 years in love yet legal strangers in the USA. Fed up!
- I voted for change, not hesitation.
- In 29 states it’s legal to fire me for being a lesbian.
- I lost my
for being a lesbian
thanks to our laws.
- Homosexuals ask for the right to the pursuit of happiness
- The only thing gay marriage threatens is bigotry
- “A right delayed is a right denied.” -MLK
- Marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege
- I demand the right to marry. Um… any volunteers?
- Everyone welcome under my chuppah
- Jim Crow called – he wants DOMA back
- Preventing my marriage won’t save yours!
- If marriage is so sacred – ban divorce!
- Why am I allowed to ruin the sanctity of marriage when my gay brother can’t?
- Evolution didn’t knock me out – neither can you!
- Beaten by cops in 1965 – still waiting for equal rights
- History will record your bigotry
- Put down the Bible and pick up the Constitution
- MLK, Jr.: the moral arc of the universe bends toward justice
- Flew from LA to DC to support my friends’ equality
- Iowa: Cooler than California since 2009 (t-shirt)
- We hold these truths to be really frickin’ obvious